The I-15 corridor is the main transportation facility and primary commuter route that links the economic hubs along the Wasatch Front between Salt Lake, Davis and Weber Counties. The objectives of this project are three-fold:
- Connect the ExpressLanes on I-15 in central Davis County to those in Salt Lake County. The ExpressLanes connection will better meet the needs of motorists throughout northern Utah.
- Replace aging bridge structures at 2600 South, 1500 South, 500 South and 400 North in Bountiful and Woods Cross.
- Improve mobility through the 2600 South and 500 South interchanges and arterial roads.
Click A Link Below To Learn More:
What is Design-Build (DB)?
Design-Build (DB) is a management method to deliver a construction project where the design and construction services are contracted by a single entity known as the design builder or design build contractor.
Benefits of utilizing the Design-Build Process:
- Reduces the delivery schedule by overlapping the design phase and construction phase of a project
- Opens the project to innovations, which can potentially reduce cost and schedule
- Assigns a Design-Build Teams chosen on best-value, which is a combination of qualifications and price
- Minimizes risk for the project owner (UDOT)
What is a Diverging Diamond Interchange?
A diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is proposed at 2600 South and 500 South. A DDI briefly swaps traffic to the opposite side of the road as it passes under the interstate to provide safer left turns and reduced waiting time at signals. The diverging diamond interchange allows for two-phase operation at all signalized intersections within the interchange instead of the six or more found in other interchange designs. This is a significant improvement in safety, since no left turns must clear opposing traffic and all movements are discrete, with most controlled by traffic signals.
Benefits of a Diverging Diamond Interchange:
- Provides for two-phase signals with short cycle lengths, significantly reducing delay
- Increases the capacity at the existing interchange by removing the need for turn lanes
- Increases the capacity of turning movements to and from the ramps
- Substantially reduces the number of conflict points, which improves safety
- Improves pedestrian safety
Are there other DDI’s in the State?
There are three DDI’s in operation in Utah County on I-15 at the American Fork 500 East Exit, the American Fork Main Street Exit, and the Alpine Exit. Another is in operation in Salt Lake County on Bangerter Highway at 2100 South. St. George Blvd in Southern Utah also has a DDI.
How much do these improvements cost?
Approximately $133 million has been allocated for this project. The final cost will not be known until the DB contractor is selected.
What opportunities do I have to comment on these improvements?
The Project will host a hotline and website for comments from the public. You can comment here.
What can I do to prepare my business?
There are many ways that businesses can be proactive in preparing for construction, such as:
- Think about your business operations and communicate your concerns to the project team.
- Prepare your customers by giving advance notice and re-assuring them that access to your business will remain open throughout construction
- Get on the project stakeholder list so that you are kept up-to-date on the project schedule and can receive weekly construction updates
- Attend the pre-construction open house to learn more about the project and how to keep your business healthy during construction
- Coupons to patrons, reward cards for purchases during construction, special events and promotions.
Who can I contact to stay informed of project schedule and impacts?
UDOT has established a project-dedicated public involvement team for this project. For general information and work progress regarding the I-15 South Davis Improvements Project, you may join our weekly email update list by submitting a request here.
Visit our website at: www.udot.utah.gov/i15southdavis.
You can also download the UDOT Traffic App for your Smartphone to receive regular updates on traffic and construction issues directly to your mobile phone.
For more detailed information on this project, please call our toll-free hotline at 888-966-6624