UDOT advises drivers to expect traffic delays this Thanksgiving holiday
November 21, 2022
Hotspots include I-15 in Salt Lake County, Davis County, and near Nephi, and northbound I-15 near Cedar City
UDOT recommends drivers plan ahead for travel delays on I-15 this Wednesday, Nov. 23, and Sunday, Nov. 27, due to heavy traffic for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Traffic engineers expect the following delays on Wednesday on Wasatch Front highways:
- Northbound I-15 in Davis County: up to 10-minute delays from 3-7 p.m.
- Southbound I-15 in Salt Lake County: up to 15-minute delays from 3-7 p.m.
- Southbound I-15 near Nephi: up to 10-minute delays from 5-8 p.m.
On Sunday afternoon, delays of up to 20 minutes are also expected on northbound I-15 near Cedar City from 12-7 p.m.
Across the state, most UDOT projects will suspend construction and open all lanes to traffic to help reduce delays during the holiday weekend (Wednesday through Sunday). In some work zones, these restrictions will continue through the weekend where needed to ensure safety or accommodate ongoing construction.
The following list includes projects where drivers should plan for construction conditions including traffic restrictions, reduced speeds, uneven pavement, and narrow or shifting lanes:
- I-80 and I-215 in eastern Salt Lake County – Lanes are shifted on I-80 between 1300 East and 2300 East, and on I-215 between 3300 South and 4500 South. Crews are reconstructing these sections of I-80 and I-215 by removing existing pavement and replacing it with new concrete. This project is also replacing or widening bridges at 1300 East, 1700 East, 2000 East and 2300 East, and is adding a new eastbound lane on I-80. All lanes are scheduled to be open by late 2023.
- I-80 near the I-84 interchange – Westbound I-80 is reduced to one lane just east of the I-84 interchange near Echo Reservoir, 24 hours a day. Crews are replacing the driving surface on the bridges over Echo Dam Road. Work is scheduled to pause in early December and resume in spring 2023, with completion expected in the summer.
- I-70 near the I-15 interchange – I-70 is reduced to one lane in each direction between the Cove Fort exit and I-15. Crews are replacing the driving surface and barrier walls on the I-70 bridge over I-15 through fall.
Drivers should also plan ahead for traffic on local streets due to Black Friday shopping. Streets near malls or large shopping centers are likely to see heavier than normal delays on Friday.
Construction schedules are weather-dependent and subject to change. For the latest information on traffic restrictions during construction, visit the UDOT Traffic website or download the UDOT Traffic app for iPhone or Android. Drivers can also follow UDOT on social media including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.